• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Brake noise when press lightly

rcmadawala

Question

Hi guys,

Some of you already seen this issue on my last post regarding no brakes after a DIY attempt to change brake pads :D

Recently i resurfaced the front disk (of course not a DIY) hoping to get rid of this noise. But still i can here it when i lightly apply brakes as shown in the video. No noise when i stopping the car from average speed. I can here this noise on following instances so far

1). Put the car to D position and press brakes lightly (creepy sound)

2). Press the brake to the floor and turning steering wheel (left / right) on a slope (creepy sound)

3). Press the brake to the floor and releasing slowly (creepy sound come and after release, gone)

So do you guys think it's time to replace the calipers ? Is there a known place to sort this out ? 

Any input appreciated

Thanks 

Edited by rcmadawala

12 answers to this question

Brake grinding noises and brake squeaking are caused by due to inferior quality disc pads and slight grinding noise is common in cold starting. However in your case its quite different. In most of the cases when applying brakes steering wheel turns slightly left or right , happens  due to stuck caliper pistons. Sometimes this issue can be fixed by caliper rebuild kits (caliper rebuild kits include small rubber seals and boots. so once these rubber seals get torn debris and dust particles build up inside the piston and piston can not move easily) or sometimes you need to replace caliper assembly to fix this noise.    

Edited by dhachamila
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dhachamila said:

Brake grinding noises and brake squeaking are caused by due to inferior quality disc pads and slight grinding noise is common in cold starting. However in your case its quite different. In most of the cases when applying brakes steering wheel turns slightly left or right , happens  due to stuck caliper pistons. Sometimes this issue can be fixed by caliper rebuild kits (caliper rebuild kits include small rubber seals and boots. so once these rubber seals get torn debris and dust particles build up inside the piston and piston can not move easily) or sometimes you need to replace caliper assembly to fix this noise.    

Thanks for your input. Do you know any place to do such inspection ?

21 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

Get genuine disk pads.and clean everything.

Thanks for your input twin turbo. But do you think replacing to genuine pads will solve the problem ? Just want to make sure before i spend 12k - 15k on genuine pads :)

Edited by rcmadawala

I've seen it cured before,..it's to do with the co-efficient of friction between the pads and disc. if possible have the discs re surfaced. clean and lubricate the moving parts and apply copper-grease to the pad back-plate.

GOOD LUCK.

TT

1 minute ago, Twin Turbo said:

I've seen it cured before,..it's to do with the co-efficient of friction between the pads and disc. if possible have the discs re surfaced. clean and lubricate the moving parts and apply copper-grease to the pad back-plate.

GOOD LUCK.

TT

Well, I already resurfaced the disk as i mentioned earlier. I was thinking about the same thing that you said, apply copper-grease to the pad back-plate. Will try it before i go with the genuine pads :)

3 hours ago, rcmadawala said:

Thanks for your input. Do you know any place to do such inspection ?

Ordinary mechanic can handle such repair & i thought when you apply brakes steering wheel turns slightly left or right. Thatz why i suggested to replace all rubber seals on calipers which i had experienced in my tiida 6 months ago. So grinding noise can be fixed by  applying copper grease to pad back plates and properly applying grease to caliper slide pins and other moving parts on caliper assembly    

Edited by dhachamila

I have similar noise on my elite. 

This is after:

1) Rephasing disks

2) Replacing rebuild kit

3) Replacing brake pads

2) and 3) was done at the agents. 

I have taken the car to them couple of times now after the problem. But they don't seem to have a clue. And Asking to rephase the disk again.

Any input is highly appreciated.

On 12/1/2016 at 2:46 PM, rcmadawala said:

Well, I already resurfaced the disk as i mentioned earlier. I was thinking about the same thing that you said, apply copper-grease to the pad back-plate. Will try it before i go with the genuine pads :)

Are you referring to rubber grease. Is copper grease available in our market? Where I can buy it?