• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Are You an Obedient for Road Rules?

gayanath

Everybody needs better roads. Ask anyone..... All will tell, road rules to be properly implemented. We can't go because of others.  Even you ask from a private bus driver, he will be the greatest obedient for road rules and not only that, he will teach you how to be a honest driver as well.

Dear friends....

In reality, be honest..... Are you an obedient for Road Rules ?? 

Lets raise your hand.......

15 hours ago, gayanath said:

Everybody needs better roads. Ask anyone..... All will tell, road rules to be properly implemented. We can't go because of others.  Even you ask from a private bus driver, he will be the greatest obedient for road rules and not only that, he will teach you how to be a honest driver as well.

Dear friends....

In reality, be honest..... Are you an obedient for Road Rules ?? 

Lets raise your hand.......

Yes.

I've been driving since 2004. For the past 12 years, I have been pulled over only once by the cops. It's not that difficult to follow the rules even in a country like Sri Lanka.

speed limits are inappropriate considering current vehicles and road conditions. when imposing speed limits enforcers have to consider the road condition and vehicle status rather than hiding behind bana trees in a very clear straight of a road and fining drivers travelling at 75 kmph. 

I have seen many D*MO battas travelling 100kmph in southern expressway. Is it a safe speed for such a primitive vehicle? 

• Like 1

Yes ! Stick to road roles (even the lane law with plenty of people running all over the damn place). Sticking to road rules is really not that difficult once you get your mind and heart in to it and it becomes second nature.
I have been pulled over only 3 times in SL (plus once in the US'..let off with a warning)...

Once was because I apparently cut a yellow line at a pedestrian crossing whilst trying to avoid a threewheeler running on to the road.  Once for speeding on the way back from katunayaka and 1 am in the morning about 15 years ago. Last time was in Bamba where I was told I cut across galle road too quickly (I was turning on to Galle road from Milarigiriya Ave ??  and was trying to get to Melbourne Ave on the sea side)

All three times spoke with the cop and they let me off. No bribes !

Biggest problem with sticking to road rules in SL is that the road rules are sometimes vague because of poor signage...uninformed policemen giving conflicting instructions/signals. For example: in Japan it is illegal to keep your car on the railroad track...I follow the same thing in SL...however I have been instructed by policemen multiple times to come and stay on the railroad track (esp. Nawala Rd at Narahenpita Junc in front of the Police hospital) which I did not do and ultimately got scolded by the cops...but  I say the highway code book says I shouldn't stay on the track they shut up and say "Baya wenna epa api methana innawa ne". I really don't know if the SL highway code one says that...but then the cops don't seem to know either..

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, iRage said:

Biggest problem with sticking to road rules in SL is that the road rules are sometimes vague because of poor signage...uninformed policemen giving conflicting instructions/signals. For example: in Japan it is illegal to keep your car on the railroad track...I follow the same thing in SL...however I have been instructed by policemen multiple times to come and stay on the railroad track (esp. Nawala Rd at Narahenpita Junc in front of the Police hospital) which I did not do and ultimately got scolded by the cops...but  I say the highway code book says I shouldn't stay on the track they shut up and say "Baya wenna epa api methana innawa ne". I really don't know if the SL highway code one says that...but then the cops don't seem to know either..

The highway code also says if there's a conflict between the road signage and a command by the police, the police command takes precedence. I know it's a problematic point in more ways than one but that's the law.

YES. And I support the revised fines.

Having said that we must also refresh our knowlwdge on road rules as well. I'm driving for almost 17 years now and recenty I was booked for crossing the white line partially and I still don't know the exact rule regarding crossing only two wheels on single line.

Perhaps if someone can suggest me from where to get the SL highway code book.

6 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

The highway code also says if there's a conflict between the road signage and a command by the police, the police command takes precedence. I know it's a problematic point in more ways than one but that's the law.

Yes it does....with the signalling..the biggest headache is more often than not the cop is not visible !

So even if the cop says come on to the rail road track should I ? 

My dad had an issue once where he parked on the side of the road (one of those parking enclaves)...but a cop instructed him to move and park on a side street which he did (apparently enclave on the main road was reserved for the shop although it had no markings as such). Then a cop on a bike came along and fined him for parking in a place he shouldn't have. 

Then a friend of mine was fined for breaking the lane law after a cop told him to move lanes and go around a car that was waiting to do a U-turn.

So yeah....at the end of the day one does need to use one's better judgement as well I suppose. 

What's the point in getting the highway code if police command takes precedence as Crosswind pointed out. Get a policeman instead. He can even bend the law.:lol: 

BTW before the authorities try to get discipline on the road there is a simple thing they should do to do get the vehicles running on the road at least a bit more closer to being roadworthy. Why can't they visually check if all the lights/wipers are working (and if the tires are worn out too) before giving the revenue license? However, I fully agree on the proposed fines except for the rule on overtaking from the left which is not clear and will be subjective in the hands of the policemen.

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 1

have you all seen how lane law is broken at Peliyagoda Highway exit to New Kelani bridge in the morning. People trying to barge in from a non existent third lane. 90% of time cops stationed there keep a blind eye. 

On days when lane law is implemented traffic is less.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iRage said:

Safety takes precedence than anything. Even though policeman commanded, you should not move on to the rail track. Bec, police can only control the traffic and he cannot stop the train. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, iRage said:

Once was because I apparently cut a yellow line at a pedestrian crossing whilst trying to avoid a threewheeler running on to the road.   Last time was in Bamba where I was told I cut across galle road too quickly (I was turning on to Galle road from Milarigiriya Ave ??  and was trying to get to Melbourne Ave on the sea side)

the last two times i was pulled over was for the exact same reasons. - i never got off maybe the police didn't like my face. :D 

and yes I'm not going to say im perfect  I've been fined 5 times. Three of them in close succession(obstructing the right lane while switching lanes  running a color light on yellow and lastly crossing a single line  this was around the time I got my licence it was not the 500 rs fine but the realization that i actually broke the law had a deep effect in me   and I've never committed the offences since. Actually even if the fine was 100 rs I would still have been full of regret remorse and never forgotten that but I guess that doesn't apply for everyone so you have to have hefty fines. 

38 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

yeah many many many times In traffic I've stopped well clear of the pedestrian crossing not to block it (more of being ethical than law) only for an angry policeman to violently gesture me to move forward 

9 minutes ago, Quiet said:

have you all seen how lane law is broken at Peliyagoda Highway exit to New Kelani bridge in the morning. People trying to barge in from a non existent third lane. 90% of time cops stationed there keep a blind eye. 

On days when lane law is implemented traffic is less.

yes - i travel on this route regularly i once pointed this out to a cop who just shrugged.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Yes ! Stick to road roles (even the lane law with plenty of people running all over the damn place). Sticking to road rules is really not that difficult once you get your mind and heart in to it and it becomes second nature.
I have been pulled over only 3 times in SL (plus once in the US'..let off with a warning)...

Once was because I apparently cut a yellow line at a pedestrian crossing whilst trying to avoid a threewheeler running on to the road.  Once for speeding on the way back from katunayaka and 1 am in the morning about 15 years ago. Last time was in Bamba where I was told I cut across galle road too quickly (I was turning on to Galle road from Milarigiriya Ave ??  and was trying to get to Melbourne Ave on the sea side)

All three times spoke with the cop and they let me off. No bribes !

13 minutes ago, matroska said:

the last two times i was pulled over was for the exact same reasons. - i never got off maybe the police didn't like my face. :D 

and yes I'm not going to say im perfect  I've been fined 5 times. Three of them in close succession(obstructing the right lane while switching lanes  running a color light on yellow and lastly crossing a single line  this was around the time I got my licence it was not the 500 rs fine but the realization that i actually broke the law had a deep effect in me   and I've never committed the offences since. Actually even if the fine was 100 rs I would still have been full of regret remorse and never forgotten that but I guess that doesn't apply for everyone so you have to have hefty fines. 

I'm totally with the revised fines... There was only 1 time even I was fined and that was when I cut a yellow line at a pedestrian crossing whilst trying to avoid a Bus running on to the road.. :D This was in kurunegala when I was going on a client visit.. I was fined then and there and luckily the post office was right infront of where I was stopped.. However once again I broke line rules and that time I was spotted in a video in Sri Lanka Traffic Violations... :D from that day onwards I never broke the law becuase when I saw myself in video I realized how indiscipline I was and how ugly it is to drive a nice car like an asshole, i was ashamed of myself too...  so I don't break any road rules now... you shouldnt too :D 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

:D This was in kurunegala when I was going on a client visit.. I was fined then and there and luckily the post office was right infront of where I was stopped.. 

Malkaduwawa ? Crossing after the bend? I got copped there re the tuk tuk and cop was quick to point out 'there's a post office nearby we'll wait for you '

Edited by matroska

3 minutes ago, matroska said:

Malkaduwawa ? Crossing after the bend? I got copped there re the tuk tuk and cop was quick to point out 'there's a post office nearby we'll wait for you '

I can't remember the name of the place.. but however, right infront of the pedastrian crossing, there was a school also (So I was told to go to courts :D ) I put the puppy face and begged that I can't go cuz I'm on my way to a client visit in kandy and I'm from Colombo bla bla.. then he sympathized and said to pay the fine and go... so if your copped place had a school too near the post office, then I guess its the same place we both were copped :D 

1 hour ago, Rumesh88 said:

BTW before the authorities try to get discipline on the road there is a simple thing they should do to do get the vehicles running on the road at least a bit more closer to being roadworthy. Why can't they visually check if all the lights/vipers are working (and if the tires are worn out too) before giving the revenue license? 

Yes. 

There is a mechanism (not for cars but for heavy vehicles) that, all heavy vehicles should obtain a fitness certificate every year or so before revenue license. But the issue is, even you have only a chassis, you could obtain it from a registered garage (not from all but somewhere) giving some few thousands extra.  So, the system not works as required. 

I think GoSL should implement higher-level independent authority with all inspection facilities, competent persons, database updates (even ODO meter reading at the inspection), etc for all vehicles annually after few years of registration.  This will be a good income for the government as well. Actually no need to invent a wheel again. We could follow Japanese model atleast. 

6 minutes ago, gayanath said:

Yes. 

There is a mechanism (not for cars but for heavy vehicles) that, all heavy vehicles should obtain a fitness certificate every year or so before revenue license. But the issue is, even you have only a chassis, you could obtain it from a registered garage (not from all but somewhere) giving some few thousands extra.  So, the system not works as required. 

I think GoSL should implement higher-level independent authority waith all inspection facilities, competent persons, database updates (even ODO meter reading at the inspection), etc for all vehicles annually after few years of registration.  This will be a good income for the government as well. Actually no need to invent a wheel again. We could follow Japanese model atleast. 

you can combine this with emission test and make it an annual requirement, Also since mileage is stated in the emission test that could be put in to the RMV Database so that when we check vehicle details mileage can also be checked and will also prevent meter karakewima me thinks.

15 hours ago, peugeot407 said:

Most of the rules yes. most frequent  violation is speeding.

5 hours ago, Jor-el said:

However I would've preferred if speed limit is 80-85kmph outstation, 60kmph in city limits

4 hours ago, peugeot407 said:

speed limits are inappropriate considering current vehicles and road conditions. when imposing speed limits enforcers have to consider the road condition and vehicle status rather than hiding behind bana trees in a very clear straight of a road and fining drivers travelling at 75 kmph. 

I have seen many D*MO battas travelling 100kmph in southern expressway. Is it a safe speed for such a primitive vehicle? 

IMO, though we call our main roads as highways, except our three expressways, all others are more or less country roads which build to serve that local areas. No proper service roads, fences, center islands, cross junctions with full of houses surrounding (you cant see the traffic of other road until you reach the junction), number of pedestrian crossings, etc. Lot more chances are there crossing the road by animals [like dogs, cats, oxen ( + drivers like ox)], small children, etc.

Can you stop your vehicle in such sudden situation with no harm to them, your vehicle or vehicle at your back when you are traveling 80-85 kmph. So, according to our road conditions, I believe, still 50 & 70 (I propose 55 and 75 max) is enough. 

If roads are clear from huge traffic, 70 kmph is more than enough for a pleasant travel.

I too agree that, not only D*MO battas, some 30-40 years old heavy vehicles (with sign board having 40 kmph at the back :) ) should not allow to enter expressways. 

However, since the southern expressway is designed for 120 kmph, no appropriate reason to reduce the speed up to 100 kmph. 

6 hours ago, iRage said:

My dad had an issue once where he parked on the side of the road (one of those parking enclaves)...but a cop instructed him to move and park on a side street which he did (apparently enclave on the main road was reserved for the shop although it had no markings as such). Then a cop on a bike came along and fined him for parking in a place he shouldn't have. 

Then a friend of mine was fined for breaking the lane law after a cop told him to move lanes and go around a car that was waiting to do a U-turn.

So yeah....at the end of the day one does need to use one's better judgement as well I suppose. 

5 hours ago, gayanath said:

Safety takes precedence than anything. Even though policeman commanded, you should not move on to the rail track. Bec, police can only control the traffic and he cannot stop the train. 

The trouble is, the law (not just the motor traffic law but all laws in Sri Lanka) are made under the assumption that the police will act with 100% honesty, are highly knowledgeable and will always act in the best interest of the public. Therefore, a policeman wouldn't put you in an unsafe or troublesome situation. Law always makes that assumption.

That's why I said this is a problematic point.

I drive on the left side of the road & I stop for red, do not cross over double lines and single continuos lines. That's it. All other rules , I believe I have broken them all at some point during the past 7 years since I have started driving. 

And i will continue to do so whenever I see fit doing it. 

am I a reckless driver? No I'm not. I'm just a regular joe who have

honked infront of the no honking sign, driven over 70kmph on galle road, parked on pavements, parked right infront of the no parking sign, driven on one way roads in the wrong direction, driven with an expired revenue license and insurance, reversed on to main roads,not given way to the traffic coming from my right side when I'm entering a road or a roundabout, over taken on left side, driven under influence, not stopped for pedestrians who are about to use the crossing to cross the road,have all windows tinted full black, bribed cops and etc...

?

• Like 1