• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Are You an Obedient for Road Rules?

gayanath

8 hours ago, trinity said:

I drive on the left side of the road & I stop for red, do not cross over double lines and single continuos lines. That's it. All other rules , I believe I have broken them all at some point during the past 7 years since I have started driving. 

And i will continue to do so whenever I see fit doing it. 

am I a reckless driver? No I'm not. I'm just a regular joe who have

honked infront of the no honking sign, driven over 70kmph on galle road, parked on pavements, parked right infront of the no parking sign, driven on one way roads in the wrong direction, driven with an expired revenue license and insurance, reversed on to main roads,not given way to the traffic coming from my right side when I'm entering a road or a roundabout, over taken on left side, driven under influence, not stopped for pedestrians who are about to use the crossing to cross the road,have all windows tinted full black, bribed cops and etc...

?

Finally!! I was beginning to think that :

A: We have a bunch of Saints here on AL

B: We have a bunch of shit-faced liars!! 

Sadly I don't fit into either category and I was wondering what the hell I'm doing here as I clearly don't belong!! 

As for my driving history / habits: I'm terror behind the wheel. I try my best to be a good boy and obey the road rules but...well lets just say I can confess to all of the above and more! 

Kudos to you 'Trinity' for coming forth and confessing in front of these category A or category B buggers as listed above! :D 

• Like 4

On 05/12/2016 at 1:14 AM, PreseaLover said:

I'm totally with the revised fines... There was only 1 time even I was fined and that was when I cut a yellow line at a pedestrian crossing whilst trying to avoid a Bus running on to the road.. :D This was in kurunegala when I was going on a client visit.. I was fined then and there and luckily the post office was right infront of where I was stopped.. However once again I broke line rules and that time I was spotted in a video in Sri Lanka Traffic Violations... :D from that day onwards I never broke the law becuase when I saw myself in video I realized how indiscipline I was and how ugly it is to drive a nice car like an asshole, i was ashamed of myself too...  so I don't break any road rules now... you shouldnt too :D 

This bugger is part of the category B crowd: A shit faced liar.

I've seen him on Havelock road since that traffic video incident driving like a mad man. I'd have caught up with him and said hi, the only thing was he zipped off into the opposing lane / traffic (illegally) and disappeared before I could catch up with him! 

• Like 3

My opinion is that drivers in Sri Lanka who consider them to be obedient drivers sometimes don't even know that they are actually not that different from the rest of the herd. So I think @Kavvz's "Category A" needs to be split into two: :)

A1: Drivers who are REALLY saints

A2: Drivers who THINK they are saints

Every time you didn't give way to the vehicles approaching a roundabout from the right, you were wrong.
Every time you let half of your car sit on a junction box, you were wrong.
Every time you let a portion of your car cross the "give way" line at a junction or traffic light, you were wrong.
Every time you ignored the pedestrian waiting at a crossing, you were wrong. 
Every time you thought you could follow that ambulance to get to your destination quicker, you were wrong.
Every time you went through an amber when you could have safely stopped, you were wrong. 
Every time you didn't indicate (or indicated too late) when you are turning or switching lanes, you were wrong.

One can obey every single road sign, speed limit and traffic light and sure, that will get you out of trouble with the cops, but they can still be a retard if they're are not courteous. Honestly, I think only a handful of drivers are courteous.

I was actually stunned when I came to Sri Lanka in March and drove my father's car for the first time after 2 years of driving abroad. I realised that you require a certain style of driving in Sri Lanka and I've lost it after 2 years of being away. Within just 10 minutes of driving, I had to stop by the side of the road at Athurugiriya junction and catch a breath because I had to remind my self that I was back in Sri Lanka, driving among retards (not all, but the majority). People don't realise they are not courteous - it just comes naturally to them. For example, if you need to cross an un-monitored junction (no cop, no traffic lights), you just need to slowly creep forward until you are through, otherwise you will not get anywhere and the drivers behind you will just drive you mad stomping on their horns. In theory, that is wrong, but that is just how it is because no one else will give you way!

My point is, we can have all highway codes and rules written on paper. But abiding by them doesn't make you obedient. It is that, plus courteous driving that makes you a good, obedient driver. So I think the real question is, how many of us are really courteous?

Edited by Davy
Corrected typo
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Kavvz said:

This bugger is part of the category B crowd: A shit faced liar.

I've seen him on Havelock road since that traffic video incident driving like a mad man. I'd have caught up with him and said hi, the only thing was he zipped off into the opposing lane / traffic (illegally) and disappeared before I could catch up with him! 

Adeh no f**kin way really? :P can't be... maybe its when the cops allow to use that lane (when turning to pamankada when coming from havelocks side) :P I'm not a liar :P  

3 hours ago, PreseaLover said:

Adeh no f**kin way really? :P can't be... maybe its when the cops allow to use that lane (when turning to pamankada when coming from havelocks side) :P I'm not a liar :P  

lol. Nopes. I was coming out of park road when I saw you bust your illegal move and take off like a mad man so no chance of pulling the "oh its when cops allow to use that lane" card ! 

Okay perhaps you're not a liar, that's a bit harsh, but I shall agree with Davy when I say that you are part of the A2 crowd then, for I can say you are certainly not as saintly as proclaimed! 

Edited by Kavvz

5 hours ago, Davy said:

My point is, we can have all highway codes and rules written on paper. But abiding by them doesn't make you obedient. It is that, plus courteous driving that makes you a good, obedient driver. So I think the real question is, how many of us are really courteous?

Well said Davy! And in your honour I shall drive with courtesy and try to not get mad at anyone if they cut me off or hog my lane (for the the rest of today at least!)

Edited by Kavvz

3 hours ago, Kavvz said:

lol. Nopes. I was coming out of park road when I saw you bust your illegal move and take off like a mad man so no chance of pulling the "oh its when cops allow to use that lane" card ! 

Okay perhaps you're not a liar, that's a bit harsh, but I shall agree with Davy when I say that you are part of the A2 crowd then, for I can say you are certainly not as saintly as proclaimed! 

Ah right, if you came out of park road you must have seen me after 5.15pm in the evening yes? of course at that time the cops open the illegal lane for us to go, you must know this better if you are going everyday in that road... they even keep the cones marked in the other lanes to draw the line yo!

Ah right, if you came out of park road you must have seen me after 5.15pm in the evening yes? of course at that time the cops open the illegal lane for us to go, you must know this better if you are going everyday in that road... they even keep the cones marked in the other lanes to draw the line yo!

No it wasn't in the evening, it was around lunch time-ish / mid morning I think, but no worries, I'm not here to police you. There's more than enough of that going around.

Either way, Its all good, you were probably in hot pursuit of some Aunty driving a Presea or something so what's a couple of road rules when it comes to something important like that! No worries old chap... :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kavvz said:

No it wasn't in the evening, it was around lunch time-ish / mid morning I think, but no worries, I'm not here to police you. There's more than enough of that going around.

Either way, Its all good, you were probably in hot pursuit of some Aunty driving a Presea or something so what's a couple of road rules when it comes to something important like that! No worries old chap... :D 

morning/afternoon I can't remember going to that side, cuz my office is in the opposite side.. im sure you have mistaken me for someone else man :D next time take a pic to be sure :P 

morning/afternoon I can't remember going to that side, cuz my office is in the opposite side.. im sure you have mistaken me for someone else man :D next time take a pic to be sure :P 

lol ! Sure will do, next time I shall provide proof of my allegations! The only drawback is that I'll be needing a faster car :D But seriously, there's no mistaking you in that glamorous car of yours buddy! It stands out too much.

The moral of the story: Don't break road rules when you're in such a noticeable car Sell your car to me so I can break road rules in it...

Edited by Kavvz

This is an interesting topic. Reckon I belong to @trinity's camp but I try my best not to stop on pavements, drive the wrong way on one-way streets and have avoided driving under the influence.

In fact, I'd rather get an Uber or travel by bus if I'm not sure about parking or my sobriety on my way back. I've been fined 4 times, On three occasions for speeding and once for overtaking among obstructions. Generally I'm a very alert driver. I don't answer calls while driving, I don't allow myself to get distracted and I'm well aware of my driving conditions. All my signal lights and hazards work and I do check those each week. 

However, I despise slow drivers on the right lane. Though I don't plan to do it, I sometimes brake check or overtake from the left too close in anger. Happens mostly on the Parliament road and the Japan Friendship road. I then go home and curse myself for being an idiot. 

Edited by Sierra Charlie

On 12/7/2016 at 7:23 AM, Davy said:

My opinion is that drivers in Sri Lanka who consider them to be obedient drivers sometimes don't even know that they are actually not that different from the rest of the herd. So I think @Kavvz's "Category A" needs to be split into two: :)

A1: Drivers who are REALLY saints

A2: Drivers who THINK they are saints

Every time you didn't give way to the vehicles approaching a roundabout from the right, you were wrong.
Every time you let half of your car sit on a junction box, you were wrong.
Every time you let a portion of your car cross the "give way" line at a junction or traffic light, you were wrong.
Every time you ignored the pedestrian waiting at a crossing, you were wrong. 
Every time you thought you could follow that ambulance to get to your destination quicker, you were wrong.
Every time you went through an amber when you could have safely stopped, you were wrong. 
Every time you didn't indicate (or indicated too late) when you are turning or switching lanes, you were wrong.

guilty on one count here... and as for the 'give way' thing I'm not sure. 

31 minutes ago, Sierra Charlie said:

In fact, I'd rather get an Uber or travel by bus if I'm not sure about parking or my sobriety on my way back.

very good move... I do that specially when I'm going to some place where I have to find the place (not to mention not sure if parking is available) Some people find it amusing that I take a tuk/bus to get some place when I could have driven... 

I honestly can't say that I've driven completely within the law. But I'm definitely not a reckless driver. I believe I'm more alert on the road than most and would speed, cross single or double lines depending on the situation. And judging by the number of idiots who are happy to sit 20Kmph below the limit on the right lane, are you sure that all of you guys have never overtaken from the left?

Having said that, I think the fines are justified and is a necessity to whip some of us into more responsible drivers. If anything needs changing, I believe that driving under the influence should be fined even more; and maybe have a jail term beyond a particular blood alcohol level.