• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Spot fine vs Courts comment by traffic cops

carboy2011

I would like to know the legal standing for offences eg: spot fine (dada kola) vs Courts  (usawiya) 

I got copped in heavy traffic for taking a U turn where prohibited ,it was a raining slightly and dark and at the end of a tiring day hence i didnt see the board, and I accepted my mistake

However the cop said this is a an offence where I'm going to send you to courts so I told him to give me a spot fine instead so with some reluctance he gave me a dada kola 

Do the traffic police have the right to send someone to courts or issue spot fines for such offences ? or was he just trying a fast one to get a bribe? can someone please elaborate

I would have thought some offences are punishable by spot fines and some serious ones like drunk driving by Courts?

4 hours ago, Magnum said:

He could have fined you for a different offence which carries a spot fine but Im not sure

That is exactly what happens if you plead with them. For example if you cross the double/single line which is a punishable offence at the courts they can issue a spot fine for obstructing the oncoming traffic instead. All cops are worried (at least officially) is meeting their target for the day. So whether it is a court case or spot fine it is immaterial (perhaps they will be able to minimize further documentation at their end if they issue a spot fine). Once we had an arrangement to reimburse parking fines for our company drivers when on field round trips. What really happened was drivers used to ask for parking fines even when they jump traffic lights!

6 hours ago, Rumesh88 said:

That is exactly what happens if you plead with them. For example if you cross the double/single line which is a punishable offence at the courts they can issue a spot fine for obstructing the oncoming traffic instead. All cops are worried (at least officially) is meeting their target for the day. So whether it is a court case or spot fine it is immaterial (perhaps they will be able to minimize further documentation at their end if they issue a spot fine). Once we had an arrangement to reimburse parking fines for our company drivers when on field round trips. What really happened was drivers used to ask for parking fines even when they jump traffic lights!

:lol: