• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

about mini book

samichazz

Question

im going to buy a mini cooper without book and gonna buy a book from another guy(morris minor book). tagging the chassis number is not the issue,but the engine number doesn't match with the car. is there any way to put same engine number in book to the car? can i make changes in book through RMV (change engine numbers and model numbers) 

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, samichazz said:

im going to buy a mini cooper without book and gonna buy a book from another guy(morris minor book). tagging the chassis number is not the issue,but the engine number doesn't match with the car. is there any way to put same engine number in book to the car? can i make changes in book through RMV (change engine numbers and model numbers) 

What you are intending to do is completely against the law. You are liable to have your car confiscated and will probably have to face heavy fines as well as court time. 

So if I were you I would avoid it.

@samichazz back in the day when I was owning a Mini, 3 or 4 minis (including one owned by a friend of mine) got impounded and he had to pay something like 100,000 as a fine. The standard excuse is 'I didn't know that this was a cut-and-bud car your honour', but it doesn't work in courts. Cops in Sri Lanka KNOW that original Minis didn't come to this country with tiptronic boxes or EFI engines. They know exactly how to detect the cut-and-bud marks. 

If you want to buy a classic Mini, buy one which was auctioned off by the customs (they are generally with English numbers). Might be expensive but would you rather lose your car and face a fine too?

May I suggest locking this thread before some folks start posting the 'expert opinions'.

Have done this about 10 years back as below, but this is completely against the law as other members explained above.

1. Get the car

2 Chuck the tag plate

3  Remove the Rover plate from the boot, (Next to the gas tank)

4 Get a GST invoice from a parts shop for a engine included with the existing part #  (I had to pay for the parts shop to give me an invoice) as they need to pay the gst to government.

5 Lodge engine number change with RMV

This website or myself not taking any responsibility about this.

regards

JC