• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sri Lankan Traffic Violations

MADZ

Saw this video on FB and thought of sharing it with you guys. I think better to fix video camera's on all directions in your vehicle when you drive :)  Feel free to share any other traffic violations or related videos/photos in this thread. 

This reminds me of a guy who tried to extort money from me saying "mahaththaya mage kakula udin giya(sir you overran my foot)"  near Borella underpass which was under construction then but failed for I knew the story from my BIL who had fallen pray to the trick before and lost some money. In my case of course I had only Rs. 100 in my pocket then :lol: and I stopped at an ATM but couldn't withdraw anything for my account had run dry. The trickster might have noticed my going to the ATM before doing a number on me.

So the advice is to keep your doors locked always and lower your windows only by a half an inch if the alleged victim comes for a negotiation and you smell something fishy. Always insist on calling the police.

The first time I came back to Sri Lanka, I made it a point to bring a dash cam for my father's car. After seeing videos in that Facebook group, and numerous incidents faced by me and my immediate family members, it only made sense to have one because there are so many morons out there.

Believe it or not, it only took 2 weeks after my departure for my father to realise the value of the dash cam. The right hand side mirror was knocked off by a moron overtaking on the oncoming side, and the guy fled the scene. My father had to produce this footage to claim the insurance and get a new mirror assembly. The insurance company (SLIC) didn't make a fuss at all given that we had video evidence.

So yeah, get a dash cam. Two if you can afford it (front and rear kit). Get one with GPS so that you can have it detect and print the vehicle speed on the video. Might come in handy if you are accused of speeding when you were doing less than the limit. Might save you from having to pay a 25,000 fine. :)

https://dashboardcamerareviews.com/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davy said:

So yeah, get a dash cam. Two if you can afford it (front and rear kit). Get one with GPS so that you can have it detect and print the vehicle speed on the video. Might come in handy if you are accused of speeding when you were doing less than the limit. Might save you from having to pay a 25,000 fine. :)

https://dashboardcamerareviews.com/

The GPS speedometer have about -5 kmph difference than the actual speed tho

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jor-el said:

The GPS speedometer have about -5 kmph difference than the actual speed tho

Not really. It just takes a bit of time to catch up (communication delay) like asrock said. You'll notice that if your speed is constant, the GPS speed and the actual speed are more or less the same.

You'll be surprised to know that even car speedometers are also about -5 km/h less than the actual speed. 

1 minute ago, Davy said:

Not really. It just takes a bit of time to catch up (communication delay) like asrock said. You'll notice that if your speed is constant, the GPS speed and the actual speed are more or less the same.

You'll be surprised to know that even car speedometers are also about -5 km/h less than the actual speed. 

Yep I sped up to 70kmph for about 4-5 seconds to test the accuracy and the dashcam registered the speed as 66kmph 

8 hours ago, Jor-el said:

Yep I sped up to 70kmph for about 4-5 seconds to test the accuracy and the dashcam registered the speed as 66kmph 

4 to 5 seconds might not be sufficient for the GPS to catch up. The final speed is determined by calculating several speed readings (based on distance and time), and averaging them out. And most GPS systems "ping" satellites only a couple of times every second. So try maintaining a constant speed for about half a minute. If your car has cruise control, use it.

My opinion is that speed calculated by GPS systems are far more accurate than vehicle speedometers. Wheel size, tyre wear, gear ratios and even meter calibration can lead to vehicle speedometers being not-so-accurate. 

3 hours ago, Davy said:

If your car has cruise control, use it.

Hey-hey, I'm still in SL, not  in AUS :D and I rarely have the chance to use the highways 

Anyway GPS speedo showing about 5kmph less than car speedo could be beneficial, I can show the footage on-the-spot to the traffic officer and convince him there's something wrong with his radar gun, hopefully 

My DC saved me 550 bucks so far, cop stopped me for crossing the continuous white line about two months ago

Cop : Mahaththaya ira kapuwa ne?

Me : Na na mama thani ira patan ganna kalin overtake eka complete kalane, me kameraweth thiyenawa record wela *showing the dashcam*

Cop : Licence insurance gannako mahaththaya

*takes a brief look at the documents and returns them*

Haa hari yanna 

:D

• Haha 2

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...