• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Montero Sport 2011/ 2012

tiv

Question

Hi people of autolanka,

Haven't been online here a while and thus I believe my past account by the same name has been deleted, hence not my first post.

Wanted an honest opinion on the 2011 / 2012 Montero sport model as I am considering one myself, Prefer a diesel rugged SUV in comparison to newer hybrid variants and "Vezels" and their mimicry, but I can't fetch enough to own a politicians ride thus,

I have been through the forum but sadly did not find much about the vehicle except for

fellas asking for fuel consumption and some loose criticism from 2012.

Would like to know how they are thriving now?

I've seen that most for sale have run around the 50,000km to the 80,000km mark, How many healthy kms can the 2.5 4D56 DiD pull prior to a new engine?

Turbo life?

Suspension Issues? I know its not that comfortable but speaking of repairs?

Body rust?

What to look out for?

I see that they run near the 7 to 8 mil mark so what would the idea sum be etc.

Any experts? Current or past-owners, fellow enthusiasts please be kind enough to drop a note. Thank you!

montero-sport-main.jpg

Edited by tiv

10 answers to this question

I have seen these emitting a bit of smoke during slow speeds, I assume in 1st and 2nd gear. Im not sure why though havent seen other common rail engine vehicles do that.

BTW have you looked at the Fortuner? cuz you have a Hilux you might like this more

Pointing out the obvious here, it's not gonna be a great drive. There is a bit of noticeable turbo lag and the floor is sort of high in relation to the seats so you kind of have a gap (I guess this depends on each person's stature). Not to mention the dreary bodyroll this model is notorious for. 

We have around 10 give to management and I have driven these multiple times. 

Edited by The Stig

59 minutes ago, The Stig said:

Pointing out the obvious here, it's not gonna be a great drive. There is a bit of noticeable turbo lag and the floor is sort of high in relation to the seats so you kind of have a gap (I guess this depends on each person's stature). Not to mention the dreary bodyroll this model is notorious for. 

I also noticed that it has a quite shallow footwell, and I have heard people complain about turbo lag too

5 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

This is built on the chassis of a L200.  we all know how good they are, And have been driven to distruction here.

Honestly i'd get a used Montero  with dual A/c for your budget.

There's no diesel montero in the above budget mate, if at all must run back to pre 2000s I guess most likely to have moderate running repairs all over. 

3 hours ago, Magnum said:

I have seen these emitting a bit of smoke during slow speeds, I assume in 1st and 2nd gear. Im not sure why though havent seen other common rail engine vehicles do that.

BTW have you looked at the Fortuner? cuz you have a Hilux you might like this more

First time I heard that. Have not paid much attention on the vehicle earlier, I am looking replace the hilux with one out of necessity for a 7 seater. Nothing else, trying to save myself the off road capability hence this choice.

Plenty of wagons and people carriers newer and cheaper in the market otherwise.

Of course the fortuner which i'd love to bag. It's out of my budget at 9 mil +

2 hours ago, Don Shan said:

How about Kia Sorento 2012 ? I heard many positive feed-back on this model.

Just that I have got this phobia to stick to Japanese, atleast for now but thanks a lot that you gave me an alternative!

1 hour ago, The Stig said:

Turbo lag is something I'll have to see myself, given that the Hilux too has a lot of lag, any clue of their engines? as in mileage and probable wear?

11 minutes ago, Magnum said:

I also noticed that it has a quite shallow footwell, and I have heard people complain about turbo lag too

I have noticed the awkward seating height and rear seats,

I believe the 3rd row of seats weren't equipped in all the imports

Also on further research there is a Manual Transmission less bling spec in the island

After talking to a few automotive gurus well known in this forum and after multiple conversations with car sale owners. Sadly this vehicle has a bucket load of bad reviews. I'm yet to confirm these but they list as.

Engine milage approx 200,000 km and a overhaul is due mostly

Bumpy suspension. 

Body too heavy on a L200 chassis, boat like handling, massive body roll and understeer.

Underpowered for the size

Fuel economy approx 10 to 12kmpl

Resale value and demand not that impressive. 

Hope this will be useful for future inquirers.

A detail review yet to be added. Thank you 

Edited by tiv
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2017 at 9:59 AM, tiv said:

After talking to a few automotive gurus well known in this forum and after multiple conversations with car sale owners. Sadly this vehicle has a bucket load of bad reviews. I'm yet to confirm these but they list as.

Engine milage approx 200,000 km and a overhaul is due mostly

Bumpy suspension. 

Body too heavy on a L200 chassis, boat like handling, massive body roll and understeer.

Underpowered for the size

Fuel economy approx 10 to 12kmpl

Resale value and demand not that impressive. 

Hope this will be useful for future inquirers.

A detail review yet to be added. Thank you 

I am curious to know your current opinion on this because I am looking for a Montero Sport right now as well. TIA

I've had Montero sport 2012 with me for morethan 5 years now. All these issues they talk about is true. It's so tall, so yea it's got tendancy to roll. Turbo lag is a b***h. I got it with 30k on the clock still running at 154k. Slight oil leak visible from the gasket, other than that there aren't any issues.   I'm bit of a heavy footer so that might be the reason. Going slow over bumps is not an option for this vehicle. Not a powerful engine for serious offroading. However it is really fun to drive. Overall, if you're looking for a SUV that's not an off roader, this is a good option.