• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

OBD port in Honda city type z 2001

ThushanthaSrimal

23 hours ago, ThushanthaSrimal said:

Is there a OBD port in Honda city type z model?

YOM - 2001

Since almost all the vehicles after 1996 have OBD ports I searched my vehicle for it.

But I couldn't find any.

This is not true, all vehicles exported to US had to have OBD 2 protocol. But was not a requirement for other countries . Some non us exports did not come with the port though they were running obd2 protocols. 

But for Jdm cars it became mandatory after 2006 AFAIK. If it's there then it should be under the steering wheel. 

On 3/1/2017 at 2:13 PM, The Stig said:

This is not true, all vehicles exported to US had to have OBD 2 protocol. But was not a requirement for other countries . Some non us exports did not come with the port though they were running obd2 protocols. 

But for Jdm cars it became mandatory after 2006 AFAIK. If it's there then it should be under the steering wheel. 

That is correct. You do not find the standard 16-pin OBD in this car. Instead there is a blue or bluish green color 4 pin connector on the driver side of the center console. You need a pin conversion to plug into a OBD 2 tool AFAIK but I have not done it myself.

Can you please post a picture of the two connectors? Usually 3-pin one has to be the OBD (if it is blue/green) and the other 2-pin one for service mode activation (that is of a different color to the OBD one). 

8 hours ago, ThushanthaSrimal said:

No they are both in same color. 

IMG_20170305_121126.jpg

The three pin one has to be the OBD connector. Just check with ignition on if center pin carries 12V and one of the corner pins is ground. If so other pin is the K-line.

• Like 1

Right, so this is the 2 pin and 3 pin version and not the 16 pin OBD connector.

From memory, you can short out the 2 pin connector with a piece of wire and then switch on the car (don't start). If there are any error codes, your Check Engine light will blink in different ways to indicate different error numbers. I think the number of long blinks is for the first digit and the number of short blinks is for the second digit. So for example, if the blink pattern is (long long long long short short, the error code is 42. Hope this makes sense. If there are multiple error codes, it will cycle through them in the same blinking fashion.

Mind if I ask why you want to carry out a diagnosis? Are you just curious or is the Check Engine light on?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Davy said:

Right, so this is the 2 pin and 3 pin version and not the 16 pin OBD connector.

From memory, you can short out the 2 pin connector with a piece of wire and then switch on the car (don't start). If there are any error codes, your Check Engine light will blink in different ways to indicate different error numbers. I think the number of long blinks is for the first digit and the number of short blinks is for the second digit. So for example, if the blink pattern is (long long long long short short, the error code is 42. Hope this makes sense. If there are multiple error codes, it will cycle through them in the same blinking fashion.

Mind if I ask why you want to carry out a diagnosis? Are you just curious or is the Check Engine light on?

Nop no problems. I'm just curious as you said. And also I want to check the possibility of using an OBD II HUD Speedometer. But I think this model don't have an electrical speed sensor. Is that correct? Speedometer is connected to a cable. Does it means that it doesn't have a electrical one?  

Edited by ThushanthaSrimal

11 hours ago, ThushanthaSrimal said:

Nop no problems. I'm just curious as you said. And also I want to check the possibility of using an OBD II HUD Speedometer. But I think this model don't have an electrical speed sensor. Is that correct? Speedometer is connected to a cable. Does it means that it doesn't have a electrical one?  

If it has a cable, then it probably doesn't have a VSS. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Some time ago when I was helping out a friend of mine diagnose an issue, I found that there are 3 pin Honda to 16 pin OBDII adaptors. I'm not exactly sure if they work with OBDII bluetooth adaptors, but this is what it looks like:

For-Honda-3-Pin-OBD2-Adapter-To-16-Pin-O

You basically plug in the 3 pin blue connector from your car to on end and an OBDII scanner/adaptor to the other end and apparently it works, but I have never tried it. Do a bit of reading online and you might find more information.