• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How is an engine mounted before an engine rebuild?

Splat

Question

Dear Friends,

If I were to split an engine and if I cannot afford an engine stand must I fabricate a simple durable frame or can it be don on the floor on wood pallets or something. Has anyone experienced such a situation. How do mechanics normally mount and prepare an engine before a rebuild. I wonder if the engine block is mounted to be flipped either side or is the engine block elevated with some hoist while the rebuild is done?  Lot of good discussions and details about engine rebuilds but very less information on how the engine is laid for the rebuild.

7 answers to this question

Thank you for you kind reply. Its a 3 cylinder Perkins engine. 152 Cubic inches (2490 CC) a good old British engine.

Bloody heavy one. :D

Reassembling an engine on the floor or even on a wooden pallet laid on the floor isn't ideal. By the end of her build, you'll probably end up having a working engine and a broken back. So it'd better be a level, sturdy surface on which you can assemble the engine while standing up. 

I would recommend fabricating a frame if that can be done. You can simply use nuts and bolts to hold the structure together and make it so that it can be customised to hold any engine. Will be useful if you work on engines regularly. 

If this is too much, then the least you can do is find a level, sturdy surface (again, at a height that you can stand and work) and use pieces of wood to rest the engine. You can even join the pieces of wood together to form a cradle that holds the engine in place. This would be the cost effective option. If it's a one-off build, I'd just stick to the wooden cradle.

Something that looks like this:

18504d1309705345-wood-engine-cradle-67gt

• Like 2

Splendid reply Davy. Thank you. I think I can afford to fabricate a frame and yes the wood cardle will sure doo come in handy for transportation. I think I can add wheels to the frame and make it maneuverable.. also I could add ACROW screws jacks to adjust the hight. WONDERFUL ..... I hope to do a DIY post on this.

Thank you once again Davy, your much appriciated.

base-jack-500x500.jpg

Hi Davy, the picture you have attached above is also helpful to find TDC in the rebuild process, as when the oil pan is removed the wooden stand gives a good clearence when rotating the crank shaft ot find top dead center. thanks for all you help.  :)

5 hours ago, Splat said:

Hi Davy, the picture you have attached above is also helpful to find TDC in the rebuild process, as when the oil pan is removed the wooden stand gives a good clearence when rotating the crank shaft ot find top dead center. thanks for all you help.  :)

Nice. I guess this means you're using different pistons in your engine. Would like to see a photo of the cradle you come up with.