isam

Atfer market metal bumpers, are they legal?

4 posts in this topic

Thanks for reading my question.

One of my buddies had fixed an Armadillo bumper to his jeep. I was wondering about the legal aspects of such a mod. I have seen quite a lot of 4x4 Jeeps with these and it seems that the authorities are OK with these (still they chase bull bars). Is it because; since these are buffers, and quite a lot of older models of jeeps/trucks came with metal bumpers does the law leave provision for them? Will they create problems in case of an accident?

Edited by isam

5 hours ago, isam said:

Thanks for reading my question.

One of my buddies had fixed an Armadillo bumper to his jeep. I was wondering about the legal aspects of such a mod. I have seen quite a lot of 4x4 Jeeps with these and it seems that the authorities are OK with these (still they chase bull bars). Is it because; since these are buffers, and quite a lot of older models of jeeps/trucks came with metal bumpers does the law leave provision for them? Will they create problems in case of an accident?

This is illegal. According to Motor Traffic Act, any modification to the structure of a vehicle can only be done with the written consent of the Commissioner of Motor Traffic.

In Sri Lanka, the 'selective application of law' principle prevails over any law. For example, this morning, I noticed cops were trying to chase all vehicles (other than buses) away from the newly implemented bus-lane, except for a white Hummer.

3 people like this

6 hours ago, Crosswind said:

This is illegal. According to Motor Traffic Act, any modification to the structure of a vehicle can only be done with the written consent of the Commissioner of Motor Traffic.

In Sri Lanka, the 'selective application of law' principle prevails over any law. For example, this morning, I noticed cops were trying to chase all vehicles (other than buses) away from the newly implemented bus-lane, except for a white Hummer.

"Except for the white Hummer" :lol::lol:

Illegal as it is. But there is something else. The bumper should transfer the minimum effect to the chassis if there is a collision happens otherwise it transfers the shock to the chassis and ended up with cracks or damaged chassis. This was my personal experience once and kept the original buffer as it is. the gauge of the chassis is higher than the buffer and also the strength is. 

But it looks cool to have those in your vehicle. ;)