• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2017 BMW X1or 2017 Lexus NX?

fiat fan

Question

Hi guys! Hope everyone is doing well! 

I need some advise on buying a SUV for my mum! Actually she is not in Sri Lanka, she is in California,USA!

Currently she has an Accord which is going to be replaced. The reason to go for a SUV is because she travels to Oregon on the year end, where the winter can get real nasty! Last time she was there, the Accord really suffered in the snow!

Enough OT, so she asked me to choose her a good SUV. It should have

-4WD or (AWD).

-good safety features.

-navigation.

-android auto.

-sunroof.

-fun to drive.

-looks good.

-not too big and bulky.

-reliable.

-ability to conquer snow and the occasional light off road.

resale,fuel and crap not a concern!

So looking around, I saw that the BMW X1 and the Lexus NX were the best deals around. Both go for the same price roughly. Both have its ups and downs, but I like to know the best! 

The NXs interior is better in my opinion, I just love that clock, But the exterior is uhhhh weird!!

The X1 looks good outside,but the steering and stuff look bit iffy! 

Anyways sorry for the long rant! Please help me out! I like to hear Sri lankan 1st hand opinions!Thanx All

2016-bmw-di-2.gif

bmw-x1-f48-innenraum-90183360.jpg

nx200tfsport.jpg

Lexus-NX-200t-fsport-race-steering-shift-knob-interior-gallery-476x357-LEX-NXG-MY16-0059.jpg

12 answers to this question

Well one is a Lexus and the other is a BMW so depending on where you are at those badges make a difference :) Also, depending where you are at access to agent service networks would also change drastically..but you are in Cali...so shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Haven't driven the new X1 (only the previous version), but the NX is actually not a bad car to drive (well a JDM variant at least...don't think the USDM variant would be nay much different). For a SUV its handling is not bad and doesn't have much body roll, etc..the interior is well put together as well. Steering feels typically Toyota-ish....it happens (mind you pretty well for a SUV) but with no feeling what-so-ever. If you get the larger and wider wheel option it helps a little bit.

The Hybrid variant seems to be quicker off the mark but the engine feels quite numb when driving. The turbo charged engine on the other hand is a little bit more livelier and quite smooth. The back of the NX feels a bit dark and *dungeony' and to be honest sitting in the NX feelslike you are in a wierdly proportioned spaceship rather than a spacious SUV.

I would take the NX over the PREVIOUS X1 anyday....but I hear that there are a lot of things that have improved with the new X1.

Get online and go through some reviews of both cars' engines, etc...to make sure there are no horrid nightmares lurking inside. 

After which the choice would be obvious or a simple matter of personal preference and practicality.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2017 at 1:32 PM, iRage said:

Well one is a Lexus and the other is a BMW so depending on where you are at those badges make a difference :) Also, depending where you are at access to agent service networks would also change drastically..but you are in Cali...so shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Haven't driven the new X1 (only the previous version), but the NX is actually not a bad car to drive (well a JDM variant at least...don't think the USDM variant would be nay much different). For a SUV its handling is not bad and doesn't have much body roll, etc..the interior is well put together as well. Steering feels typically Toyota-ish....it happens (mind you pretty well for a SUV) but with no feeling what-so-ever. If you get the larger and wider wheel option it helps a little bit.

The Hybrid variant seems to be quicker off the mark but the engine feels quite numb when driving. The turbo charged engine on the other hand is a little bit more livelier and quite smooth. The back of the NX feels a bit dark and *dungeony' and to be honest sitting in the NX feelslike you are in a wierdly proportioned spaceship rather than a spacious SUV.

I would take the NX over the PREVIOUS X1 anyday....but I hear that there are a lot of things that have improved with the new X1.

Get online and go through some reviews of both cars' engines, etc...to make sure there are no horrid nightmares lurking inside. 

After which the choice would be obvious or a simple matter of personal preference and practicality.

Hey Thanx for the reply! Yes what you said on the NX was spot on! Most reviews said the steering lacked any feel and the cabin was small and dark,especially in the rear! So thats definitely a bad point! Also I went to see an NX in srilanka, I dunno it looked weird in person, even the dash was less exciting!  So far I didn't come across any new X1s in SL though! most probably we will go with the X1. Thanx again mate! Appreciate it!

On 3/28/2017 at 1:40 PM, Twin Turbo said:

Ye olde American saying, goes     'be American, buy American!'  :)

Haha!! But we aint American bro! Goda suddahs more likely!

The thought did come, but I read that they are horrid in build quality and reliability! Also most American SUVs dont look good on the inside,  I saw one with a gear selector placed on the dash like a regular radio volume knob!! ??

No first-hand experience with either but given previous experience with the brands I would say the Lexus would be a better suv for someone like your parents.

However the infotainment in Lexus are a bloody mess, do they still have that stupid joystick in new models? I mean who can use a damn mouse while driving to select an option. 

On 3/31/2017 at 9:03 AM, The Stig said:

No first-hand experience with either but given previous experience with the brands I would say the Lexus would be a better suv for someone like your parents.

However the infotainment in Lexus are a bloody mess, do they still have that stupid joystick in new models? I mean who can use a damn mouse while driving to select an option. 

What you are saying is also valid! I also read that the new BMWs are all show and no go. The repairs are plenty and eye watering sums even in the states! Really Confused actually!

No they removed it and have given a laptop touch pad, which I heard was even more troublesome!

My mother will make a decision next week probably!She said the Lexus felt easy to drive and was a dull drive. But the BMW apparently had lesser driving feel! That Maybe because she drives a 2016 Accord v6!

9 hours ago, vag2 said:

wow,At first I thought you were one of the four MP s who recently got a release for new vehicles ?

haha nope bro! 

If I had that permit I would get down a Range Rover Vogue!

1 hour ago, fiat fan said:

What you are saying is also valid! I also read that the new BMWs are all show and no go. The repairs are plenty and eye watering sums even in the states! Really Confused actually!

No they removed it and have given a laptop touch pad, which I heard was even more troublesome!

My mother will make a decision next week probably!She said the Lexus felt easy to drive and was a dull drive. But the BMW apparently had lesser driving feel! That Maybe because she drives a 2016 Accord v6!

Sadly bmw has switched to a mass luxury market approach instead of the driver centric approach they had. I feel If you want some good driving fun Jag or alfa are the way to go.

Thought of the Q3 ? probably the best loaded german cuvs in this price bracket.

On 4/2/2017 at 10:02 AM, The Stig said:

Sadly bmw has switched to a mass luxury market approach instead of the driver centric approach they had. I feel If you want some good driving fun Jag or alfa are the way to go.

Thought of the Q3 ? probably the best loaded german cuvs in this price bracket.

Yes, What you say is true! they try to sell the X1 saying its a BMW, what else you need yada yada!

Oh yes the Alfa Romeo Stelvio looks awesome,but it still hasn't reached to CA.

The Jaaag F Pace is nice, but the rear is sorta cramped. Since this will haul 5 people on weekends, it can be a pain!

We did check out the Q3, but it looks dated now! Also its the smallest in size. But with the option boxes ticked to a decent spec,It cost waaay too much! Also it's due for an upgrade soon, so we might end up with a old model in a few months!

Btw what do you think about the new kia sportage?my mother has seen one on the kia showroom, and she said it looked good. And the interior was also very nice it seems!

6 hours ago, fiat fan said:

Yes, What you say is true! they try to sell the X1 saying its a BMW, what else you need yada yada!

Oh yes the Alfa Romeo Stelvio looks awesome,but it still hasn't reached to CA.

The Jaaag F Pace is nice, but the rear is sorta cramped. Since this will haul 5 people on weekends, it can be a pain!

We did check out the Q3, but it looks dated now! Also its the smallest in size. But with the option boxes ticked to a decent spec,It cost waaay too much! Also it's due for an upgrade soon, so we might end up with a old model in a few months!

Btw what do you think about the new kia sportage?my mother has seen one on the kia showroom, and she said it looked good. And the interior was also very nice it seems!

I have no experience with the newest gen sportage but the periovious gen ones were pretty good bang for the buck. Decently comfortable. The interior is the department you should be worried about, the leather is not really soft leather type and most of panels have a very plasticy feel. Interiors have not held up well here in the sun, silver accents have faded,  soft rubberised plastics have all turned into gum balls and I saw quite a few with broken ac vents etc. Maybe they would do better in the cold.