antis

Toyota corolla diagnostic

Question

5 answers to this question

What is the model of this corolla? 

First of all obd 2 is a standard ecu operation protocol and not just a plug. Your cars ecu has to support the protocol. If your car doesn't have an obd 2 plug that means native support is limited. However it is still possible to get codes though it can't be guaranteed. 

Your car also has to support the obd protocols supported by the elm 327 adapter. They have the most common like iso 9142 and j1850 but if your cars protocol is different then there is no use. Your get what you pay for with these cheap elm adapters. 

A decidacted good quality handheld scan tool however will work since they support most of the obd protocols even with convertor cables. A good way to check before buying a scanner is to get the car scanned from a place and see if their scanner is able to communicate with your car. 

Also most of these cables don't work because the output pins in each car model even from the same manufacturer is different due to age, model difference, region etc. This is why when you plug in a hand held scanner it asks for your cars make model and year, so that it can recognize the signal lines.

This is one reason why obd 2 plug was implemented, to standardise the output pinout. 

I bought a similar cable for my bj since it's a Jdm and doesn't have the obd plug, but it did not work straight away. What I did was to rewire the connectors based on information from others who have done the same and it worked to a certain extent. 

2 people like this

Not sure if the chinese ELM27 has necessary protocols for your vehicle's ECU (they doesn't have the protocols for OBDII standard JDM vehicles either) But communication lights should turn on when you connect to ELM27 using your smartphone/tablet using bluetooth - then it'll say it can't scan your vehicle if it's not supported

Edited by Jor-el

ELM327 supports only OBD II protocols. Just a conversion cable is of no use here unless the scanner supports OBD I.

My car is a TOYOTA Corolla 2.0 Diesel 1998 (model CE110)

do you know any scanner up to $50 that will work?

On 7/13/2017 at 5:11 PM, antis said:

My car is a TOYOTA Corolla 2.0 Diesel 1998 (model CE110)

do you know any scanner up to $50 that will work?

Well cant really guarantee that any scanner would work since i have no experience with your car.

But these are good according to others (i did some research previously when i wanted to purchase one)

i ended up buying this (still on the way);

Again no guarantees, buy at your own risk