trex

Honda Grace Gearbox question

trex    1

I have a Honda Grace (2017/02 - based on seatbealt | Bought 2017 April) which was bought "0 mileage".

I previously had a Nissan Leaf - Maybe my question is due to getting used to driving a car without an actual clutch (and the fact, electric cars are so smooth).

So, my question:

I notice the clutch engaging & disengaging when I’m driving in heavy traffic conditions.

I also "detect" some hesitance when i try to go from a standstill (let's say behind a car in traffic, when traffic starts to move) - sometime, even if the throttle is the same amount I get sort of a "surge" of power. Although this only happens in low speeds (say, 0km/h to 20km/h)

If I try to keep the speed ~40km/h with constant throttle, I feel the clutch being engaged/disengaged.

Should I be concerned? The car only has 5500km on it.

It was carefully used, except one instance where I did not see a bump in road and went over it 50km/h. The car landed heavy (but not too heavy so that front bumper hit the ground).

Does anyone know what kind of clutch the Grace have? Wet Clutch or Dry Clutch?

The Stig    611

The grace shares a 7 speed dual clutch gb with the fit and vezel. There were reports on the software issue and recalls https://paultan.org/2014/02/11/honda-dct-recall/

However Honda has opted not to use the dct in export models, jazz, city & hrv so there is very limited information available regarding these specific gearboxes even on other sites.

In Sri Lanka also there were reports of gearboxes overheating in long runs.

Since our experience with dct gearboxes in general is minimal it would be difficult to say if it's how it's suppose to be or of its a fault.
I don't know if there is anyone specialized dct transmissions but maybe Stafford can help you out. Better get it checked before any further damage is done.

trex    1
9 minutes ago, The Stig said:

The grace shares a 7 speed dual clutch gb with the fit and vezel. There were reports on the software issue and recalls https://paultan.org/2014/02/11/honda-dct-recall/

However Honda has opted not to use the dct in export models, jazz, city & hrv so there is very limited information available regarding these specific gearboxes even on other sites.

In Sri Lanka also there were reports of gearboxes overheating in long runs.

Since our experience with dct gearboxes in general is minimal it would be difficult to say if it's how it's suppose to be or of its a fault.
I don't know if there is anyone specialized dct transmissions but maybe Stafford can help you out. Better get it checked before any further damage is done.

I checked my car's information with recalls issued - There is no recall or reported issues for it.

Anyway, I will drop by Stafford so they can check it out.

Any idea what they will charge for just checking it? - I've heard claims that stafford charges exuberant amounts for just nominal things.

trex    1

I've seen so many Honda Grace cars on streets.

Is there no one in the forum that can offer some insite into how it feels (specially if you guys can feel the clutch engaging/disengaging)?

Quiet    57

are you sure its the clutch that you feel. Normally you feel a small vibration when vehicle shift from EV mode. I think the slight hesitation is normal. Its the same with my Vezel which i have been using since Jan 2015 without any issues.

With regard to agent i did a scan on the vehicle and it cost 5000/- including the battery from what i can remember

Edited by Quiet

trex    1
1 minute ago, Quiet said:

are you sure its the clutch that you feel. Normally you feel a small vibration when vehicle shift from EV mode. I think the slight hesitation is normal. Its the same with my Vezel which i have been using since Jan 2015 without any issues.

With regard to agent i did a scan on the vehicle and it cost 5000/- including the battery from what i can remember

I am not quite sure what the vibration is.

I think I miss the "smoothness" of Leaf. However, I don't see other issues what so ever. (I did a 5000km server on Stafford, and they did not tell me anything is wrong - So guess I'm being bit paranoid)

Thanks for pricing info. If I really can't take it, I guess I'll go to Stafford with the Car. Maybe, I need couple thousend more km's to get used to it.

• Like 1

Hi Trex, All Honda VEZEL, FIT GP5 and Grace share the same Dual clutch technology called by Honda as iDCT. 

This has dual twin manual gear sets coupled together and controlled electronically so that it appear to be an Automatic transmission for the end user.

odd and even gears are connected to engine and electric motor and when there is a gear change between motor and engine that produce a jerk in low speeds. This is completely normal according to my experience. I am having a FIT and also driven GRACE as well.

This dual clutch need a fluid change every 40 000 km intervals

Davy    1,393
15 hours ago, trex said:

I've seen so many Honda Grace cars on streets.

Is there no one in the forum that can offer some insite into how it feels (specially if you guys can feel the clutch engaging/disengaging)?

Check the response below:

H.C    84

I've sold my 2015 grace few months back and it too had some hesitation when you need quick power. I thought that was normal in economy mode. But car was fully inspected at the Stafford before the sale and they said "software for the gearbox was not properly installed and gear changing was not smooth due to that". Cost for the reinstallation is Rs 3500.

gNaveendra    5
On 08/08/2017 at 4:53 PM, trex said:

I think I miss the "smoothness" of Leaf. However, I don't see other issues what so ever. (I did a 5000km server on Stafford, and they did not tell me anything is wrong - So guess I'm being bit paranoid)

Sometimes, this could help you understand the DCT.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/videos/a29777/dual-clutch-transmission-durability-reliability/

IMO, comparing it with EV car may not be appropriate. The engine operation in both cars are incomparable.

1 hour ago, H.C said:

I've sold my 2015 grace few months back and it too had some hesitation when you need quick power. I thought that was normal in economy mode. But car was fully inspected at the Stafford before the sale and they said "software for the gearbox was not properly installed and gear changing was not smooth due to that". Cost for the reinstallation is Rs 3500.

Did the software reinstallation solved the issues in the DCT?

Kingston777    0

The problem with Dual cluth gearbox is it can fail after 40k on odo. Therefore; You should change clutch oil (I think only 1l required n doesnt cost either) near this mileage. Even if you do, thrs still a possibility of getting a defective clutch. N constant aggressive driving cause this as well. U shud not keep on rev up n drive like a its end of the world. It can degrade the life of the box n strand u on road.

H.C    84

Actually new owner planned to do it with the next service. I'll get the feedback from him and let you know.