• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Boi Approved Cut & Bud Vehicles???

madmax

Got to know that BOI has given approval to a plant in Minuwangoda area to assemble complete vehicles from parts and sell them as locally assembled vehicles, and that they can be registered too.

The person who told me this said a Carina can be bought for 1.2 and a Montero for 3 Mil. But when asked about sold information, he didn't have any. Is this just another lie? Or is there any truth in it? He also said that the car market has come down becuase of this...

It's hard to believe.. But any one else heard of this?

Got to know that BOI has given approval to a plant in Minuwangoda area to assemble complete vehicles from parts and sell them as locally assembled vehicles, and that they can be registered too.

The person who told me this said a Carina can be bought for 1.2 and a Montero for 3 Mil. But when asked about sold information, he didn't have any. Is this just another lie? Or is there any truth in it? He also said that the car market has come down becuase of this...

wow montero for 3mill,is this company same like the negombo one ? :unsure: so other than the 2nd hand selling value is it safe to buy a vehicle from these companies ?

if its safe defenalty i want to buy a Essembled Alion

I am not sure the purpose of such a venture, because technically it should not cost less to import a cut and bud vehicle vs a complete vehicle as far as cost of import is concerned, and I cannot think the government would willingly provide methods of evading customs duty for these vehicles as I see no economic benefit by allowing for cut-bud vehicles

I mean the vehicles cost the same at the point of sale

they are unnecessarily broken apart and then brought together for no reason

I say this in the light of the government restriction on the age of vehicles that could be imported in as well ....

and even if this is true I don't know whether to say its good or bad, sure we get vehicles for cheaper, and sure people will get jobs as a result, but why ???? the government could just reduce the duties and achieve the same objective OR eliminate the duty for locally assembled vehicles which will spur more companies to set up local assembly plants to put together proper vehicles not cut buds

curious to know the truth behind the story .............

Gihan, got more details about this Negambo one you're talking about? Do they do Evos or Rexs? :D

As i know No, only Lancer's, Corollas Etc, but the best person we can ask abt this place is HOLA, and hes the one who told me this place is closed

Anyway just imgine if they have STi's Evo's & Rexs :D

The main reason I'll not believe it is that BOI approved companies normally don't sell their stuff locally. Remember that place that makes the Cobra replica?

Besides, BOI are old clients and I remember a scene like that. ;) I'll have to recheck with the boss tho.

Its true all right.. a friend of mine checked it out a few months back (JaEla one) CRV's were going for 2 mil odd. Only thing is that theres some special note in the book/manufacture’s name is altered. Gihan-no performance cars. Though the thought of the engines at least is tempting :rolleyes:

Yes Pila, my source also told that the manfuacturere cannon be specified. Do you have address/contact numbers of these places?

Peri: if I'm not mistaken even Micro is BOI approved, no restrictions about the market.

:blink: wow is this is the case.......

Would be nice to get stuff at that price......

The point he says that the car market is down is a load of BS just check the baserd prices of the stuff advertised in A/L Manily the white pick up 2.5 Mil for a 15 years old crap

Yes Pila, my source also told that the manfuacturere cannon be specified. Do you have address/contact numbers of these places?

Peri: if I'm not mistaken even Micro is BOI approved, no restrictions about the market.

Actually the joint has been in operation for a while now.

A buddy of mine bought one of their cars around one and a half years back.

However, that vehicle didn't look all that well put together. Hopefully, by now they would have got their "Teething Problems" sorted out.... :rolleyes:

this place is true and does exist. the way to see if the cars were assembled locally is in the book, country of manufacture is listed as SL. this is the only difference. a friend of mine bought a petrol fb14 for 1 mil. it runs a KB reg.

no difference as far as the car goes.. you can't specify what cars you want... they have even had diesel chasers for a while..

these cars a legit.

this place is true and does exist. the way to see if the cars were assembled locally is in the book, country of manufacture is listed as SL. this is the only difference. a friend of mine bought a petrol fb14 for 1 mil. it runs a KB reg.

no difference as far as the car goes.. you can't specify what cars you want... they have even had diesel chasers for a while..

these cars a legit.

Fuzzo, No diesel jeeps for sale? Weird that many have not heard about this venture...should have been in the papers in no-time

Edited by VWvortex

Its true all right.. a friend of mine checked it out a few months back (JaEla one) CRV's were going for 2 mil odd. Only thing is that theres some special note in the book/manufacture’s name is altered. Gihan-no performance cars. Though the thought of the engines at least is tempting :rolleyes:

So Pila is there any place i can buy a Toyota Allion ? I mean Essemble in Sri Lanka version :unsure:

Ya only problem is the car wont be under the name Toyota Corolla.. If it's the same plc ive heard of then, the cars go under the make name "Emperor". And heard they had a lotta Toyota Surf's for sale, not sure if its diesel or petrol.

Edited by monamonu

Hi all

Hope I could give bit more info ,

Yes they have a licence from BOI to import vehicles without cutting as second hand parts, so this is not a cut and bud.

This license was avery controversial one where there were so many cases in courts by govt as well as the license holder which went on many sinhala & english week end as well as daily papers as far back as 2 years.

The difference between MICRO is Micro uses all brand new components where as they use all second hand,

most vehicles are brought dismantling the chassis or the lower suspension. They put together and finish with the cosmetics.

They have the priviledge of being teh only license operator and technically what happens is at the time of import of chassi and spares they pay the duty as spares, then once you assemble they have to pay the relavant excercis duty (Petrol / deisal etc) and send the application for registration.

They are registered under there own brand name and not that of the actual model name, and on teh CR it is clearly mentioned that it is locally assembeled using used body parts.

They had a registration issue originally which got sorted out thro' a court decision, as at now not so sure.

They don't have montero / prado/ double cab/ SUV of CRV etc type and no performance cars. Sorry No Allion and stuff.

Most of the models are basic sunny FB 14, Corolla 110 and small cars and small diesal vans which has big market as well as price sensitive by few laks., Yes they had originally no of big cars like Chaser etc..

I understand there is a big que on a waiting list too. In my opinion only some models will be worth, for an example a 110 may be about 1.3 m. In teh open market too its about 1.4 to 1.6, the only benifit is you get a new no though, but is it worth is the choice of teh buyer.

Well, I hope this is sufficinet and useful as well as it will clear some of the doubts posted to the forum.

Cheers. T

Edited by Tikiri

Guys one of my friends from office bought one some four months back but problem is its still not registered yet. Apparently there is a court case pending and they were granted permission only for the first stock they bought down. The newer ones that are assembled are mostly run on CC plates.

I do not say the car is bad, its pretty good having driven it myself. You can get a fully loaded automatic AE110 for somewhere round Rs. 900k - 1000k.

I do believe that you cannot transfer the car for 3 years or something, that you need to check.

Its cheep but you should look at the problems you have to go through when the Police stop you.

Guys one of my friends from office bought one some four months back but problem is its still not registered yet. Apparently there is a court case pending and they were granted permission only for the first stock they bought down. The newer ones that are assembled are mostly run on CC plates.

I do not say the car is bad, its pretty good having driven it myself. You can get a fully loaded automatic AE110 for somewhere round Rs. 900k - 1000k.

I do believe that you cannot transfer the car for 3 years or something, that you need to check.

Its cheep but you should look at the problems you have to go through when the Police stop you.

Well, vehicles are fully transferable. If Ae 110 are around that price , that means prices have come down, about 4 months back they were quoting about 1.3 M. Police cant say much except for running on Garage plates, they will give you a copy of the courts proceedings, get a full insurance cover and do a nice plastic plate where cops will take a moment to notice, Good luck