• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cut And Polish

Ruslan

Guys.. anyone knows how to Cut and polish a car by ourselves!.. if its impossible to do, can you guys recommend a place to me. :unsure: i've got some minor scratches in my cars bumper area.. do you guys think that by doing a cut and polish will give some results?

Edited by Ruslan

Thanks Don, but it doesn't say anything regarding "cutting the paint". is it safe to cut the paint using a chemical like "brass@"?? :rolleyes:

It is safe but do remember that it thins the layer of paint and thus should be avoided unless there are fairly bad scratches on the paint work

what i suggests is you use a high quality polish which will take care of most small cracks and then top it up with a nice layer of wax for a brilliant finish

guys can you recommend me a good place where i can get the my polished..I have seen many 3M joints everywhere

but never gone there for any car detailing...oh almost forgot i need to get the interio cleaned as well.. thanks in advance..

Where do you live? So many places that you might as well find a place close by.

I saw them do a BMW Z3 at Pitstop. Guy really taking the time to do it right :) I guess if its good enough for the BMW...

It is safe but do remember that it thins the layer of paint and thus should be avoided unless there are fairly bad scratches on the paint work

what i suggests is you use a high quality polish which will take care of most small cracks and then top it up with a nice layer of wax for a brilliant finish

Thanks again, i only wanted to cut the paint in bumper area (Thats where the most cracks are :ninja: )

Where do you live? So many places that you might as well find a place close by.

I saw them do a BMW Z3 at Pitstop. Guy really taking the time to do it right :) I guess if its good enough for the BMW...

hi, i live in kiribathgoda area bro.there arent any car detailing centres around by where i live but usually i come to borella and bamba several times a week so dont mind talking the car to a good reputed place in colombo...Pitstop is that A*W service joint right?

you have got a point there, if BMW owners take their cars to Pitstop then i shouldnt worry too much on taking my nissan there..thanks anyway..

hi, i live in kiribathgoda area bro.there arent any car detailing centres around by where i live but usually i come to borella and bamba several times a week so dont mind talking the car to a good reputed place in colombo...Pitstop is that A*W service joint right?

you have got a point there, if BMW owners take their cars to Pitstop then i shouldnt worry too much on taking my nissan there..thanks anyway..

Maybe they take extra precaution as it is a BMW !!! :violent-smiley-030:

;)

If you know what you're doing, you can even wetsand your bumper at home. But before you do, you need to know exactly how much you need to take off and how much paint is left on the bumper. You need to start with a kinda fine sandpaper and then work upto really fine until you know a good polish will get the shine back. A cutting compound will help and you'll def. need most of the stuff mentioned in the thread you were directed to.

In essence, don't try to do it if you aren't sure ... or atleast save some money for a trip to the painter if you mess up!

Edited by Mean Green z28

If you know what you're doing, you can even wetsand your bumper at home. But before you do, you need to know exactly how much you need to take off and how much paint is left on the bumper. You need to start with a kinda fine sandpaper and then work upto really fine until you know a good polish will get the shine back. A cutting compound will help and you'll def. need most of the stuff mentioned in the thread you were directed to.

In essence, don't try to do it if you aren't sure ... or atleast save some money for a trip to the painter if you mess up!

Hmmmm that's what I'm thinking too.. better visit to those cleaning joints (Kl** P**, Pi** S**). :jumping-smiley-013:

bychance if u live around Battaramulla area, there is a good place infront of waters edge.. (not exactly infront of,, js go a lil bit towards the town then u will find a garage.. I did cut n polish my FB14 and it came out well. it will cost you around 2000-3000 bux i guess.

:car-smiley-002:

• 7 years later...

bumping this thread, had a few scratches and scuffs by knowing a roller gate on to the bumper, no dents, just a bit of some scratches.. any idea where I can get this done professionally? would it be good as the original way it was? it seems like the paint has chopped off from 3-4 places from the Bumper

bumping this thread, had a few scratches and scuffs by knowing a roller gate on to the bumper, no dents, just a bit of some scratches.. any idea where I can get this done professionally? would it be good as the original way it was? it seems like the paint has chopped off from 3-4 places from the Bumper

If whole patches of paint is missing you might need to repaint the affected area. Scratches which does not penetrade the top coat of paint can usually be buffed out. You can do it yourself with some polish, or there are plenty scattered all over the place.

I am planning to do a cut and polish to my van. But my problem is there are some rust bubblea near the roof, if I do a cut and polish will these rust bubbles leave a nasty patch? Also what is the disadvantage when the paint becomes thinner? Thanks

If the guy doing the polishing carefully avoid the rusty are, it will be the same as it is now.

I find it puzzling why you ask of the disadvantage of thinner paint. Well you obviously get less protection to whatever is under the paint, which is primer, and if the panel is original a galvanize layer, and if not either cataloy or bare metal which when exposed will rust.

Of course for this you have to cut through the entire top coat of paint.

I am planning to do a cut and polish to my van. But my problem is there are some rust bubblea near the roof, if I do a cut and polish will these rust bubbles leave a nasty patch? Also what is the disadvantage when the paint becomes thinner? Thanks

Rather than avoid the rust bubbles wouldn't it be appropriate to actually target that area for a repaint? If I were you I'd leave the cut / polish and waxing of the car for a later date and get the rust seen to asap.

• 1 year later...
55 minutes ago, Muditha420 said:

Been using the shampoo for awhile now and all good for few months now. waxes not so coz all those quick detailing stuff dont work at all that well on the long run.

Hmm.....okay...yea I use the quick spray one after washes, etc...until a proper wax is due (usually with change of season)