• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Timing Chain Or Timing Belt

rangerover

Guys,

Does the toyota corolla 121 have a timing belt or timing chain. Online research indicates it to be chains. is that right for JDM 2003 models as well?

Because i hear a slight clattering sound when engine is idle and when accelarating. This does not exist in my allion, hence i find it a bit odd. The 121 has done about 67K (but u never knw). Can this be a chain issue? if so can i get it adjusted?

Its a chain as far as I know. The noise may be from the tappets- which can be adjusted

Guys,

Does the toyota corolla 121 have a timing belt or timing chain. Online research indicates it to be chains. is that right for JDM 2003 models as well?

Because i hear a slight clattering sound when engine is idle and when accelarating. This does not exist in my allion, hence i find it a bit odd. The 121 has done about 67K (but u never knw). Can this be a chain issue? if so can i get it adjusted?

Its a chain as far as I know. The noise may be from the tappets- which can be adjusted

Don't even think about touching those tappets. they' re self adjusting shims.

Rangerover, when was the last time you serviced the car? I owned both a Platz and a 121 with the 1NZFE and the rattling noise came when I am nearing the service interval. Toyota said that it is caused by the reduced viscosity. Just do a normal service, no matter what, DO NOT put any additives to your engine. Normal regular service with the recommended oils.

Don't even think about touching those tappets. they' re self adjusting shims.

Rangerover, when was the last time you serviced the car? I owned both a Platz and a 121 with the 1NZFE and the rattling noise came when I am nearing the service interval. Toyota said that it is caused by the reduced viscosity. Just do a normal service, no matter what, DO NOT put any additives to your engine. Normal regular service with the recommended oils.

Hey VVTi, i just bought the car, did an engine tune up, spark plugs changed, injector and injector system clean. Didnt do a service yet bcoz others were done when i put the car to get a bush related repair

Guess i will do a service then (after Exams next week :rolleyes: ), when u mean recommended oil would Mobil xhp be ok, or should it be toyota oil:

Thanks for the advice

Hey VVTi, i just bought the car, did an engine tune up, spark plugs changed, injector and injector system clean. Didnt do a service yet bcoz others were done when i put the car to get a bush related repair

Guess i will do a service then (after Exams next week :rolleyes: ), when u mean recommended oil would Mobil xhp be ok, or should it be toyota oil:

Thanks for the advice

Just any standard oil is fine. Make sure the filter is a good quality one.

Guys,

1NZ-FE engines come with a timing chain.

1NZFE is timing chain type.

121iz.jpg

Mobil Super XHP is not synthatic and just a premium performance conventional oil I think.Dont use synthatic lubricants on 1NZFE .

One big advice is, messing with 1NZFE is a costly affair.Take your car to a qualified technician/engineer with previous NZ-FE experience for adjustments and tune ups.

MINIACE

any idea how to lubricate the chain? since it is said u have to lubricate it at certain intervals

Never heard of that before. mate, just do your regular services. change filters (Oil, air) at recommended durations (this is important to change around 4000-3000 K's to avoid sludge issues). chain will lubricate by the engine oil i think. so you don't need to disassemble head covers and screw your engine big time. as per VVTi said, tappet noise is normal when oil changing interval is near or in cold starts. Mobil Super XHP (New name is Mobil Super 1000 15W-40) is fine.

Edited by Ruslan