• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tyre Prices

lasa

10 hours ago, shinninglikeme said:

Bridgestone tyres & CE#T Tyres are considered best for the cars.

But if you are looking for tyres of lower cost than Michigan and Pereille tyres are better than the rest

This post gave me cancer :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Brand: Maxxis

Model: MA-P3

Size: 185/70R14

Price: 10,000 each

Bought from a place called Chamara enterprises in Gampaha. I bought two tyres and they reduced another 1000 bucks for the 2 used tyres. My tyres had more than enough thread remaining but one had a sidewall damage caused by running with low air pressure. I was shocked to see the inside of the tyre sidewall once removed.

As for the tyre, they certainly are less pleasing to the eyes than the Federal Formoza FD2 they replaced. Absorbs bumps a bit better but I can hear a bit of road noise when going above 60. Yet to check traction though.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was in the market recently to get some new tyres for my w212. Tyre size 245/45/17. It originally came with pirelli p7 cinturatos. They were the most expensive I came across for this particular size at 72000/- each (around 54k with discount). The dealer told me not to go for pirellis citing poor service from the agent Toyota Lanka (someone correct me on this).

bridgestone turanza er300 was the second option. Autodrome had an offer at the time. Not sure if it's still on. So each Tyre came in at 46k.

the car previously ran on Michelin pilot preceda 2s. Very decent tyres. Quiet and comfortable. D*MO has them in stock at 43k a piece including wheel alignment. I was only put off by the usual Michelin trait of losing large chunks of rubber on the edges with age.

Finally I settled for continental contisportcontact 3's at 39k a piece. They are of Malaysian origin and fitted standard to Malaysian and Indian assembled mercs. They are a little noisy but considering the price I'm happy. The agents too offer good service in case of failure according to the agent, which matters when you are spending this much on tyres.

another thing I learnt while shopping was about the "MO" tag on the sidewall. This in my case meant it was made specifically for Mercedes or Mercedes Original. Similarly you get AO and BO for Audi and BMW respectively. As spectacular as it sounds it doesn't mean a huge difference in performance as the tyre doesn't differ that much from the same Tyre in a different size in terms of architecture and compound. But I guess it looks and sounds cool. 

Also it's worth noting apart from the pirellis the other models are succeeded by better models in more developed parts of the world. 

Had a massive (months long) dance to source a set of good tyres for the Jag as a steering issue meant it had eaten the insides of the fronts. Wasn't too sad because I was looking for an excuse to replace the fitted tyres anyway (Kinforest KF550s fitted by the previous owner just before sale, kept them because they had full tread and were honestly not bad). The big problem turned out to be the staggered tyre size: 245/45/18 front and 255/45/18 rear. Basically no one was able to give me four tyres of the same tread pattern in those two sizes. Pirelli said they had the P-Zero in 245s but didn't get anything in 255 to SL, Michelin offered me Primacy HPs and Primacy 3s but I wasn't too impressed because they weren't performance tyres and were 76k a pop! Bridgestone wanted 3-4 months for delivery. Dunlop had sport maxxes in both sizes but had JUST run out of the 245s and couldn't give me a date for when they would get a new stock.

Was basically tearing my hair out by this point and was actually planning to fly to Singapore and hand carry tyres but at the 11th hour Amila Tyre (who I was dealing with) managed to get me a set of (German made) Dunlop SP Sport 01s for the front to go with the Sport Maxxes that were already available in the rear size. In the end the set came to 200k all in which I thought was not too bad for the size.

As expected the difference from the Kinforests is pretty large; the car is quieter, rides better and definitely is more sure footed at speed. Good Tyres do make a difference, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Edited by Supra_Natural

On 1/10/2017 at 3:26 PM, JadeyBlitzen said:

So I was in the market recently to get some new tyres for my w212. Tyre size 245/45/17. It originally came with pirelli p7 cinturatos. They were the most expensive I came across for this particular size at 72000/- each (around 54k with discount). The dealer told me not to go for pirellis citing poor service from the agent Toyota Lanka (someone correct me on this).

bridgestone turanza er300 was the second option. Autodrome had an offer at the time. Not sure if it's still on. So each Tyre came in at 46k.

the car previously ran on Michelin pilot preceda 2s. Very decent tyres. Quiet and comfortable. D*MO has them in stock at 43k a piece including wheel alignment. I was only put off by the usual Michelin trait of losing large chunks of rubber on the edges with age.

Finally I settled for continental contisportcontact 3's at 39k a piece. They are of Malaysian origin and fitted standard to Malaysian and Indian assembled mercs. They are a little noisy but considering the price I'm happy. The agents too offer good service in case of failure according to the agent, which matters when you are spending this much on tyres.

another thing I learnt while shopping was about the "MO" tag on the sidewall. This in my case meant it was made specifically for Mercedes or Mercedes Original. Similarly you get AO and BO for Audi and BMW respectively. As spectacular as it sounds it doesn't mean a huge difference in performance as the tyre doesn't differ that much from the same Tyre in a different size in terms of architecture and compound. But I guess it looks and sounds cool. 

Also it's worth noting apart from the pirellis the other models are succeeded by better models in more developed parts of the world. 

Is this what you mean? All 4 of my car had this problem. Had to get rid 2 prematurely as they were in a very bad condition. Other 2 are also having the same issue.

DSC_0004[1].JPG

2 hours ago, aamarakoon said:

Is this what you mean? All 4 of my car had this problem. Had to get rid 2 prematurely as they were in a very bad condition. Other 2 are also having the same issue.

DSC_0004[1].JPG

That's does not look like the tire is disintegrating. 

You car has alignment issues, or tires are under inflated.

When was the last time you checked wheel alignment? 

9 hours ago, The Stig said:

That's does not look like the tire is disintegrating. 

You car has alignment issues, or tires are under inflated.

When was the last time you checked wheel alignment? 

There's no alignment issue as I have done one recently. If alignment was the issue, the new GT radials should have been affected. If you look closely you can see little rubber parts have come out. And it happened to all 4 Michs.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it's something to do with their compound. I've seen it happen in all Michelin tyres I've had on my cars. 

On 1/13/2017 at 5:54 PM, aamarakoon said:

There's no alignment issue as I have done one recently. If alignment was the issue, the new GT radials should have been affected. If you look closely you can see little rubber parts have come out. And it happened to all 4 Michs.

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2016 at 1:01 PM, Jor-el said:

Were EP200s better than the OEM tires (Yokohama ADVAN)?

Sadly when I bought the car it was on 4 champiro tyres. When the time came to replace, Yokohama was out of my range. So I actually do not know how it feels to drive on OEM tyres. EP200s are far far better than the Champiros

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2016 at 9:18 AM, The Stig said:

Brand: Bridgestone

Model: Ecopia ep150

Size: 175/65R14

Price: 10,900

Overall pretty happy with the tires, even though these are low rolling resistance the grip and braking distance is good. Mostly I wanted less tire noise and decent comfort from the tires and these are doing a pretty good job. It actually has more grip than my previous pair of achiles tires in cornering.The ride is a bit floaty though, not a problem if your car has stiff suspension but if it has soft suspension it might feel a little unstable.

I saw a comment previously on braking distance I should point out that I didn't notice any increase in braking distance when you floor the brakes, it grips well without any drama. However since these are low rolling resistance tires they tend not to slow down as much as other tires when cruising so you do end up having to use the brakes a little harder. Once you get use to it it's no big deal. These are great if your primary concerns are tire noise and comfort.

From where did you buy?

1 hour ago, PreseaLover said:

From where did you buy?

I got them from U&H malay street.

However, i have sort of changed my opinion on these after a bit of usage

2 hours ago, The Stig said:

I got them from U&H malay street.

However, i have sort of changed my opinion on these after a bit of usage

oh dear :/

so the next best is Michellin eh.. the huge tyre shop infront of havelock city is offering michellin for 13.5k with 30% discount and the bridgestone for 11.5k.. I was gonna go with Brig but now after your comment I have second thoughts :/

15 hours ago, PreseaLover said:

If the Michelins are enersaves I doubt there would be much difference. If you want good grip avoid eco low rolling resistance tires. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, anonymous said:

Is there a noticeable quality difference between japan, indonesia, thailand made tyres? Should i always go for japanese manufactured tyres or it is not valid anymore?

If they’re [the major name-brand tire manufacturers] having the tire built in China they’re having it built to their specifications. They maintain control of that raw material,” he said. Not to mention the engineering and development work. What TireRack.com does not offer are tires that are designed and engineered in China by Chinese firms.

he pointed out that Chinese industry is perfectly capable of making first-rate stuff. “Don’t tell me the ground that the factory sits on has anything to do with the quality of the product coming out of it” he said. 

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/05/should-i-buy-tires-made-in-china.html

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

I'm about to get a new set of tyres for the Demio my father drives. It's currently running a set of Dunlop 185/55 R 15 82H SPTRGT1 (Indonesia) purchased in late 2015 from the Dunlop agent (S K Munas!nghe) for Rs 13,800 a piece. The tyres have been pretty good and have worn out well, so I thought of going for the same set again. A quick browse on their website now shows the same tyre at 20,000 LKR.

So my question is, have prices really gone up by that much for the past couple of years? Sorry, I'm not really following these things as I'm out of the country. Bridgestone agent (Aut0dr0me) website also shows similar prices (23,690) for the same sized tyre (EP300 Thailand).  

Thanks!

19 hours ago, Davy said:

Hi Guys,

I'm about to get a new set of tyres for the Demio my father drives. It's currently running a set of Dunlop 185/55 R 15 82H SPTRGT1 (Indonesia) purchased in late 2015 from the Dunlop agent (S K Munas!nghe) for Rs 13,800 a piece. The tyres have been pretty good and have worn out well, so I thought of going for the same set again. A quick browse on their website now shows the same tyre at 20,000 LKR.

So my question is, have prices really gone up by that much for the past couple of years? Sorry, I'm not really following these things as I'm out of the country. Bridgestone agent (Aut0dr0me) website also shows similar prices (23,690) for the same sized tyre (EP300 Thailand).  

Thanks!

Maybe it's the price before discount 

8 hours ago, Magnum said:

Maybe it's the price before discount 

27 minutes ago, Quiet said:

exchange rates are skyrocketing these days. It definitely will have an impact

Thanks, I've sent them and email. Will see how it goes.