• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lancer Ex Abs Sensor

Watchman

A friend's 2008 lancer EX's front ABS sensor is messed up. The dash indicator said "service required" and when taken to the agent, they diagnosed the ABS issue. And they've said its a 45k repair... funnily another car which came in the same batch (mid/late 2008) and mileage (25k) has the same issue. So its not just one isolated case. Shouldnt the agent/manufacturer be doing a recall and fixing this Free of charge if so?

Any form of advice is appreciated :)

A friend's 2008 lancer EX's front ABS sensor is messed up. The dash indicator said "service required" and when taken to the agent, they diagnosed the ABS issue. And they've said its a 45k repair... funnily another car which came in the same batch (mid/late 2008) and mileage (25k) has the same issue. So its not just one isolated case. Shouldnt the agent/manufacturer be doing a recall and fixing this Free of charge if so?

Worked with them for sometime and know some of the glitches and malpractices which I can't reveal on a public forum.

However, there's a repair category called Recommended repairs which, suggested by principles/mother company. Those are for factory defects and agent can carry out the repair and later claim/reimburse spares/labor from principles. All I can say is this process wasn’t carried out the way it should. :) Assume it’s still the same. I'll give it a try to find out whether this repair is one of recommended repairs, not guaranteed as it depends how well the network is which is 4 years old.

Did you give it a try to find out whether it’s due to one or few faulty ABS sensors or something to do with ECU ? Then you can decide whether to fight with the agent or get it done from elsewhere at a reasonable price.

I don't understand.

If the ABS light is not on .then how can they say there is a fault on it ,'service light ' has nothing to do with ABS . Guess its one of their scams as harshan says.

Ask them what is wrong with the ABS system ,if they say its one of the sensors then measure the resistance of the it and compare it with the good one .

And if the car is late 2008 then it should be still under warranty isn't it?

Worked with them for sometime and know some of the glitches and malpractices which I can't reveal on a public forum.

However, there's a repair category called Recommended repairs which, suggested by principles/mother company. Those are for factory defects and agent can carry out the repair and later claim/reimburse spares/labor from principles. All I can say is this process wasn’t carried out the way it should. :) Assume it’s still the same. I'll give it a try to find out whether this repair is one of recommended repairs, not guaranteed as it depends how well the network is which is 4 years old.

Did you give it a try to find out whether it’s due to one or few faulty ABS sensors or something to do with ECU ? Then you can decide whether to fight with the agent or get it done from elsewhere at a reasonable price.

Thanks harshan! Appreciate any help you can get. Meanwhile let me try get some more info from her. PM me anything if sensitive, please? Thanks!

:)

I don't understand.

If the ABS light is not on .then how can they say there is a fault on it ,'service light ' has nothing to do with ABS . Guess its one of their scams as harshan says.

Ask them what is wrong with the ABS system ,if they say its one of the sensors then measure the resistance of the it and compare it with the good one .

And if the car is late 2008 then it should be still under warranty isn't it?

I havent seen this car in person, and am merely relating the information that my friend gave me. But let me try get some more info.

How the 'service required' light was connected/lined to the ABS unit by the Agents' scan i dont know. Thats what they'd mentioned. Actually You do make a lot of sense. If its an ABS sensor related issue makes more sense for the ABS light to come on than a 'service required'. My friend nor her family is too mechanically inclined so doing a manual check is kinda out of the question.

Sorry I got the age wrong on the car... She said its 2.5 year old (which would make early 2008) hence past the warranty period.

I'be been pondering;

The car happens to have done 25,000km. Could the "service required" mean an actual service? (and the warning which later has to be manually turned off by an OBD1/2 reader or something.. I was wondering cod I know our G Vitara has a light that comes on at the specified interval for the timing belt change, which has to manually be turned off). And could the Agent trying to pull off a quick one by recommending a completely unnecessary replacement? I dont mean to be cynical of the agent, just that most agents these days have a kind of a bad reputation.

I'be been pondering;

The car happens to have done 25,000km. Could the "service required" mean an actual service?

yes , If they want to make sure ask them to refer to the manual ,it has a explanation of all the warning lights

(and the warning which later has to be manually turned off by an OBD1/2 reader or something.. I was wondering cod I know our G Vitara has a light that comes on at the specified interval for the timing belt change, which has to manually be turned off). And could the Agent trying to pull off a quick one by recommending a completely unnecessary replacement? I dont mean to be cynical of the agent, just that most agents these days have a kind of a bad reputation.

You don't need a special tool to reset the service light ,normally you can do it with the trip meter buttons and the ignition. Correct procedure should be in the manual.

• 1 month later...

Dear friends, I joined autolanka recently. I was a proud owner of a brand new Mitsubishi Lancer GLX 2008 model. After approx. 25,000 kM I also got a problem with my rear ABS sensor. The computer shows ‘Service Required’ and after switching off the message I can drive without ABS. The Agents said I have to replace the sensor since it is defective. Cost is about 30,000 LKR. I was waiting for some days because the repair is too expensive for me and the warranty period was over. The thing is that during last few weeks I have experienced that sometimes no message is from computer and ABS was functioning! Still I live with the ‘defective’ sensor . My opinion is that something is wrong with Mitsubishi and they have to take steps in favor of the customers. Possibly there are many of us with the same problem. Let’s get together to do something to solve this problem. Pl. write to me.

Good news for EX owners, UML is now replacing faulty ABS sensors under warranty. They have extended the warranty upto 3 years 40k for the ABS.

My guess is that Mitsubishi has identified this as a problem, two of my uncles got them replaced yesterday.